Fresh fruit is full of delicious flavour and wonderful good-for-you vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Getting more fresh fruit into your daily diet is simple enough, and keeping things varied shouldn’t be too difficult, as there’s so many different types of fruit to enjoy!
During the spring month’s fruit is in abundance, after leaving behind the winter doom and gloom we now look head to longer days and that sweet summer breeze. The greatest food trends right now involve seasonal eating and fresh farm-to-table ingredients; spring is an exciting time to create fresh simple recipes by looking to your garden or local fresh fruit suppliers.
It is important to know how to select the best spring and local ingredients available to you, basically the foods that are ripe for eating during March, April and May in the Northern part of the hemisphere.
Here are 10 of the best fruits available in England at spring time:
The most obvious fruit is Strawberries, they remind us all of childhood and visits to the local farm to pick you own, delicious in flans, jams or on their own these little gems are definitely a favourite to most of us.
Berries are another favourite for this time of year and the varieties are endless, Cherries, Blueberries and Raspberries are some of the most obvious choices all of which can be found around the English countryside or even in your own back garden.
Some lesser known types are Loganberries (a mixture between a blackberry and raspberry), Boysenberries (a cross between a blackberry, a raspberry and a loganberry) and Olallieberries (a mix between a loganberry and a young berry) all of these berries may sound like they have similar attributes but all is unique in taste and are fantastic in jams or tarts and again are all readily available to you today.
Plums and Apricots again are very common fruits which are generally available throughout the year from other countries or grow houses in the UK. These fruits are ripe and best tasting during the spring months, have a try and you’ll see the difference for yourself.
Rhubarb is another classic; it is a bit of an acquired taste due to its bitterness but is a lot sweeter when cooked, making in fantastic in a tasty crumble.
Finally we have Pluots these juicy fruits are a mixture between apricots and plums. The fruit’s exterior has smooth skin closely resembling that of a plum. Pluots are noted for their sweetness, their intense flavor, and very juicy pulp. Pluots are also rich in vitamin A.
So now you know what fruits taste best this time of year get out there and try some for yourself! Or if you’re looking for someone else to do the job for you then there are a wide range of fruit companies that will deliver fresh fruit boxes to your door.
Check out these wonderful fresh fruit recipes:
- Create a simple balinese style breakfast with layers of fresh fruit
- Cut a banana in half and smother in nut butter and cacao nibs to make an indulgent treat
- Make a sweet and spicy fruit stew
Or try these simple ideas:
- Mix some fresh loganberries with some yogurt, lemon juice and water in your blender for a refreshing morning thickie drink
- Slice up a persimmon and enjoy with homemade cashew cream and a drizzle of honey
- Enjoy fresh blueberries sprinkled over your morning cereal
- Create a decadent yet simple summer pudding with your favorite mixed fruit, including redcurrant’s and blackberries
- Serve fresh pineapple with your morning bacon and eggs for a Hawaiian style breakfast
- Make a simple fresh fruit tart by layering a crunchy almond base, fill it with fresh sliced peaches and pluots, and drizzle over homemade custard or fromage blanc
- Mix a fresh banana with some fresh strawberries, nectarines and a handful of spinach for an energising green smoothie to start the day