Smoothies are rapidly becoming a staple to each household, and each house has their own great recipes. I have tried to combine some very tasty recipes that are standard and some perhaps a little more formal than other.
There are 2 types of smoothie, milky and icy. Both of these are good for you, and it will be up to you to find out which you smoothie. Remember to add crushed ice or yogurt to your smoothie to make it really tasty.
Fresh root ginger grated into your blender will add a bit of a zing, but be careful not to add too much as it is very strong.
All kinds of berries are really good for you, they are full of anti-oxidants and great vitamins that help your body to work at its best. Blueberries and blackcurrants are great for you, and a really tasty addition to any smoothie.
Jam or Jelly
This may seem like a bizarre thing to add to a smoothie, but be assured it is very tasty ingredient. Any jam or jelly is convenient to use, and one teaspoon full is enough to give an extra zing to your drink.
Any vegetable that you have in your fridge that has a slight sweet taste to it can be added in small quantities. For example, carrots, cucumber, celery, peppers and tomatoes. Just a few will help make a great sweet and sour flavour to any drink.
Soya milk or yogurt is healthier for you than ordinary kinds and tastes good too. Many people think that soya products must taste disgusting because they are good for you, but if you haven’t try them, give them a taste. If you don’t like the taste, add some fresh fruit or buy flavoured yogurt/milk.
To add lime juice and grated lime zest is a really zingy taste, but one that is also fresh and cleansing. But be careful not to add too much as it is quite strong. Vary the amounts each time you make it to find out how much you prefer.
This or maple syrup makes a smoothie sweeter without using refined sugar. Putting in 1-2 tsp of either will bring a great flavour to your drink.
Smoothie Recipe Ideas:
Healthy Breakfast Smoothie
– Mix together 600ml milk, 2 sliced bananas, 2tbsp smooth peanut butter, 1tsp linseeds and 1tbsp maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
Oats & Honey Smoothie
– Blend 1 ripe banana, 1 tbsp honey, 1tbsp porridge oats, 1tsp sunflower seeds and 300ml semi skimmed milk.
Dairy Free Smoothie
– Blend 300ml vanilla flavoured rice milk, 1 banana, 150g fresh berries (of your choice). Add a little sugar free jam for an extra fruity flavour.
Tropical Fruit Smoothie
– Blend together 200ml coconut milk, 200ml pineapple juice, 1 banana and 150g yogurt. Taste and add honey for a little extra sweetness. Serve immediately.
Delicious & Nutritious Smoothie
– Mix together 1 chopped banana, 100g peach slices, 1tbsp wheat germ, 150ml orange juice and 150ml yoghurt. Add some cracked ice if you have some. Serve in a tall glass.
Here’s some tasty ideas for healthy things you could add:
Blend in: ginger, almonds, dried apricots, leftover banana bread, muesli, mango, maple syrup, a little chocolate spread, marmalade, sesame snaps, bran
Sprinkle on top: flaked almonds, dark chocolate raisins, mixed nuts, a few marshmallows, a sprig of mint for decoration!