Generic ingredients: Polymyxin B sulfate with neomycin sulfate and hydrocortisone.
Other brand names: Bacticort.
Cortisporin Ophthalmic Suspension is a combination drug/antibiotic. It is used to prevent bacteria from multiplying and growing, and to relieve inflammatory conditions.
Quick Facts About Cortisporin Ophthalmic Suspension
Used to treat irritation, swelling, redness, and general eye discomfort, and bacterial eye infections.
Use the entire prescription, even if symptoms have disappeared.
- Usual adult dose: 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye every 3 or 4 hours. May mask the existence of an infection or worsen an existing one if using this medication for more than 10 days.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: apply as soon as possible, unless almost time for the next dose. In that case, do not apply missed dose; go back to regular schedule.
Cortisporin Ophthalmic Suspension Side Effects
no specific information available. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: cataract formation, delayed wound healing, increased eye pressure with possible development of glaucoma or optic nerve damage, irritation when drops applied, local allergic reactions (itching, swelling, redness), other infections such as fungal infections of the cornea and bacterial eye infection.
No known less common or rare Cortisporin Ophthalmic Suspension side effects.
No Cortisporin Ophthalmic Suspension drug interactions reported.
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Appears in breast milk; could affect a nursing baby.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- Use with extreme caution if you have herpes simplex.
- Long-term use (more than 10 days) may result in glaucoma or suppress immune system, leading to secondary eye infections. Doctor may periodically measure your eye pressure.
- Should not use if you have: viral or fungal eye disease, or if sensitive to or allergic to any ingredients of this medication. Allergic reaction subsides once medication is stopped.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Cortisporin Ophthalmic Suspension side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.