Generic name: Oxaprozin.
Daypro is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, which may trigger pain.
Quick Facts About Daypro
Used to treat the inflammation, swelling, stiffness, and joint pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Take with a full glass of water. Although pain relief may be delayed, can take with food, milk, or an antacid if Daypro upsets your stomach. Avoid lying down for 20 minutes after taking Daypro to prevent upper digestive tract irritation.
- Usual adult dose: for rheumatoid arthritis — 1,200 milligrams (two 600-milligram caplets) once a day. For osteoarthritis — 1,200 milligrams (two 600-milligram caplets) once a day. Daily dosage should not exceed 1,800 milligrams divided into smaller doses, or 26 milligrams per 2.2 pounds of body weight, whichever is lower.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: try to take at the same time each day. If you miss a dose and remember later that day, take the missed dose. Otherwise, do not double the dose the next day; return to your regular schedule as soon as possible.
Daypro Side Effects
coma, drowsiness, fatigue, x nausea, pain in the stomach, stomach and intestinal bleeding, vomiting. Rarely: acute kidney failure, high blood pressure, slowdown in breathing. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, nausea, rash.
Less common Daypro side effects: abdominal pain, confusion, depression, frequent or painful urination, gas, loss of appetite, ringing in the ears, sleep disturbances, sleepiness, vomiting. Rare side effects: anemia, blood in the urine, blood pressure changes, blurred vision, bruising, changes in kidney and liver function, decreased menstrual flow, fluid retention,
general feeling of illness, hemorrhoid or rectal bleeding, hepatitis, hives, inflammation of the mouth, irritated eyes, itching, peptic ulcerations, respiratory infection, sensitivity to light, severe allergic reaction, stomach and intestinal bleeding, weakness, weight gain or loss.
Inform your doctor before combining Daypro with:
Should not use alcohol while taking Daypro.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Not known if Daypro appears in breast milk.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- Do not use if you are planning to have surgery in the immediate future.
- Ulcers and internal bleeding may occur without warning; doctor should give regular checkups.
- If sensitive to or had allergic reaction to Daypro, should not take. Inform your doctor if you have: asthma, nasal tumors, or other allergic reactions to aspirin or other NSAIDs.
- Use with caution if you have: heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney or liver disease.
- Doctor should monitor for anemia if you are taking Daypro for a prolonged period of time.
- Since Daypro may cause sensitivity, avoid excessive sunlight.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Daypro side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.