Generic name: Piroxicam.
Feldene is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, which may trigger pain.
Quick Facts About Feldene
Used to treat the swelling, stiffness, and joint pain from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Always take with food or antacid and a full glass of water to avoid digestive problems.
- Usual adult dose: for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis — 20 milligrams per day in a single dose. Doctor may divide dose into smaller ones. Can take 7 to 12 days to observe the medicine’s full effects. Seniors — dosage determined by individual needs.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose, go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Feldene Side Effects
no specific information available. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: abdominal pain or discomfort, anemia, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, fluid retention, gas, general feeling of ill health, headache, heartburn, indigestion, inflammation inside mouth, itching, loss of appetite, nausea, rash, ringing in the ears, sleepiness, stomach upset, vertigo.
Less common or rare Feldene side effects: abdominal bleeding, allergic reaction (severe), angioedema (swelling of lips, face, tongue, and throat), black stools, blood in urine, blurred vision, bruising, colicky pain, congestive heart failure worsening, depression, dry mouth, eye irritations, fatigue, fever, flu-like symptoms, hepatitis, high blood pressure, hives, inability to sleep, joint pain, labored breathing, low or high blood sugar, nervousness, nosebleed, serum sickness (fever, painful joints, enlarged lymph nodes, skin rash), skin allergy to sunlight, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, sweating, swollen eyes, vomiting blood, weight loss or gain, wheezing, worsening of angina, yellow eyes and skin.
Inform your doctor before combining Feldene with:
Avoid using alcohol during Feldene therapy.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Should not take if you are pregnant or nursing.
Dosage for seniors determined by individual needs.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- With long-term use, may cause stomach ulcers or bleeding. Immediately contact your doctor if you experience abdominal or stomach cramps, pain or burning in the stomach, and black tarry stools.
- If sensitive to or had allergic reaction to this or similar medications, or aspirin, should not take.
- Use with caution if you have: heart disease, high blood pressure, other conditions causing fluid retention, or kidney or liver disease.
- Inform your doctor if you experience visual problems.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Feldene side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.