Generic name: Sodium fluoride.
Other brand names: ACT, Fluorigard, Fluorinse, Gel 11, Karigel, Listermint with Fluoride, Lozi-Tabs, PediaFlor, Phos-Flur, Point Two, PreviDent, Thera-Flur.
Luride is a dental caries (cavity) prophylactic. It encourages remineralization and inhibits the cariogenic microbial process.
Quick Facts About Luride
Used to strengthen children’s teeth against decay while they are still developing. Prescribed when water fluoride level is 0.7 parts per million or less. Also used for adults with calcium, vitamin D, or estrogen therapy.
Administer exactly as prescribed, preferably at bedtime after teeth brushing. Child may chew or swallow tablet or suck on it until it dissolves. Liquid can be mixed with water or fruit juice.
- Usual adult dose: Rinse — 10 milliliters once per day after brushing teeth. Tablet — 30 to 100 milligrams per day.
- Usual child dose: For infants under 2 years — 0.25 milligram tablet or 2 drops. 2 years — 0.5 milligram tablet or 4 drops. 3 to 12 years — 1 milligram tablet or 8 drops. In areas where fluoride content is between 0.3 and 0.7 parts per million, halve these dosages. Do not give full strength 1 milligram tablets to children under 3 years.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Luride Side Effects
teeth discoloration — brown, black, or white spots on the teeth. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: none reported.
Less common or rare Luride side effects: allergic rash or other unexpected effect.
No reported Luride drug interactions.
Dairy products should be avoided when using Luride.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, consult your doctor before using.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Follow doctor’s instructions carefully for children.
- Doctor should know fluoride level in the water before prescribing Luride.
- Should not take if child has past sensitivity to or allergy to Luride.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Luride side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.