Generic ingredients: Naphazoline hydrochloride with pheniramine maleate.
Other brand names: Ak-Con, Albalon, Allerest, Clear Eyes, Comfort Eye Drops, Degest 2, I-Naphline, Muro’s Opcon, Privine Hydrochloride, VasoClear, Vasocon.
Naphcon-A is a decongestant and vasoconstrictor. It constricts nasal and sinus blood vessels, opening up air passages.
Quick Facts About Naphcon-A
Used to relieve eye irritation and allergic eye conditions.
Remove contact lens before administering. Do not use if solution clouds or changes color.
- Usual adult dose: 1 or 2 drops in each eye every 3 to 4 hours or less.
- Usual child dose: do not give to infants or children; may cause stupor or coma, or severe drop in body temperature.
- Missed dose: use on an as needed basis only.
Naphcon-A Side Effects
may have serious consequences. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: dilated pupils, drowsiness, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, increased pressure inside eyeball, irregular heartbeat.
No known less common or rare Naphcon-A side effects.
Do not use Naphcon-A with MAO inhibitors such as Nardil or Parnate. May cause sudden and dangerous elevation of blood pressure.
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Not known if Naphcon-A appears in breast milk.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- Do not take if sensitive to or allergic to any ingredients of this medication. Do not use if you have glaucoma.
- May blur vision temporarily; use caution when driving or performing other hazardous activities.
- Use with caution if you have: severe heart disease (including heartbeat irregularity), high blood pressure that is not under control, or diabetes, especially if prone to ketoacidosis.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Naphcon-A side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.