Generic ingredients: Promethazine hydrochloride with codeine phosphate.
Phenergan with Codeine is an antihistamine and cough suppressant. Antihistamines block the effects of histamine, a body chemical that causes swelling and itching. Cough suppressants act on the cough reflex center of the brain.
Quick Facts About Phenergan with Codeine
Used to relieve coughs and other symptoms of allergies and the common cold. Also helps control nausea and vomiting, relieve pain, and stop coughing.
Phenergan with Codeine Dosage
Take exactly as prescribed. Adhere to dosage level, never taking more than prescribed. If cough persists beyond 5 days, contact your doctor.
- Usual adult dose: 1 teaspoonful (5 milliliters) every 4 to 6 hours, not to exceed 6 teaspoonfuls or 30 milliliters in 24 hours.
- Usual child dose: for children 6 to 12 years — 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful (2.5 to 5 milliliters) every 4 to 6 hours, not to exceed 6 teaspoonfuls or 30 milliliters in 24 hours. For children under 6 years — 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon-ful (1.25 to 2.5 milliliters) every 4 to 6 hours, not to exceed 9 milliliters for children weighing 40 pounds. 8 milliliters for 35 pounds, 7 milliliters for 30 pounds, and 6 milliliters for 25 pounds. Not generally prescribed for children under 2 years.
- Missed dose: if taking on a regular schedule — take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Phenergan with Codeine Side Effects
bluish skin, cold or clammy skin, coma, convulsions, difficulty breathing, dilated pupils, dry mouth, extreme sleepiness, flushing, low blood pressure, muscle softness, nightmares, overexcitability, slow heartbeat, small pupils, stomach and intestinal problems, stupor, unconsciousness. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
Overdose can be fatal.
Side effects: blurred vision, constipation, convulsions, decreased amount of urine, depressed feeling, difficulty breathing, disorientation, dizziness, dizziness upon standing, dry mouth, exaggerated sense of well-being, fainting, faintness, fast or fluttery heartbeat, feeling of anxiety, restlessness, flushing, headache, hives, inability to urinate, increased or decreased blood pressure, itching, light-headedness, nausea, passing hallucinations, rapid heartbeat, rash, sedation, sleepiness, slow heartbeat, sweating, swelling due to fluid retention (including throat), vision changes, vomiting, weakness, yellowed skin or eyes.
Rare Phenergan with Codeine side effects: abnormal eye movements, blood disorders, confusion, protruding tongue, skin sensitivity to light, stiff neck.
Inform your doctor before combining Phenergan with Codeine with:
all antidepressants, including Nardil, Elavil, and Prozac; narcotic pain relievers such as Demerol and Dilaudid; sedatives such as Seconal, Halcion, and Dalmane; tranquilizers such as Xanax and Valium.
Do not drink alcohol while taking Phenergan with Codeine.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. May affect pregnancy test results. May appear in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Follow doctor’s instructions carefully for children 2 years and older. May cause drowsiness; supervise children carefully when bike-riding, roller-skating, or participating in other potentially hazardous activities. Use with extreme caution in young children.
- May cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires alertness. Doctor may reduce other medications you are currently taking if they also cause drowsiness.
- Should not use if sensitive to or allergic to this or similar medications such as Thorazine, Mellaril, Stelazine, or Prolixin.
- May cause or worsen constipation.
- Use with caution if you have: a head injury, hear disease, high blood pressure or circulatory problems, liver or kidney problems, narrow-angle glaucoma, peptic ulcer or other abdominal obstructions, urinary bladder obstruction due to enlarged prostate, seizures, underactive thyroid, intestinal inflammation, Addison’s disease, or recent stomach or intestinal or urinary tract surgery.
- Monitor use in very young, very elderly, or people in a weakened condition.
- Phenergan with Codeine may prompt seizures in people who already experience them.
May raise blood sugar.
- Inform your doctor of any uncontrolled movements or if you experience unusual sensitivity to sunlight.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Phenergan with Codeine side effects, please contact your healthcare provider