Generic name: Finasteride.
Proscar is an androgen synthesis inhibitor. It inhibits steroid 5∞- reductase, an enzyme responsible for forming androgen 5∞-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in adult males. DHT influences development of the prostate gland
Quick Facts About Proscar
Used to shrink an enlarged prostate and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Also prescribed for male-pattern baldness and as a preventive measure against prostate cancer.
May take with or without food. Read patient information package that comes with prescription each time prescription is renewed.
- Usual adult dose: Usual adult dose: for prostate conditions — one 5 milligram tablet per day. For male-pattern baldness — one 1 milligram tablet per day.
- Usual child dose: not prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Proscar Side Effects
no specific information available. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
Side effects: decreased amount of semen in ejaculation, decreased sex drive, impotence.
No known less common or rare Proscar side effects.
No significant Proscar drug interactions reported.
No known food/other substance interactions.
Not prescribed for women. If accidentally taken by a pregnant woman carrying a male fetus, may cause abnormal development of genital organs. Men taking Proscar should use a condom if having intercourse with a pregnant woman; semen may contain small amounts of Proscar. Pregnant women should be careful not to touch a crushed Proscar tablet.
No special precautions apply to senior men.
Not prescribed for children.
- Do not take if sensitive to or allergic to Proscar.
- Before prescribing Proscar doctor should rule out infection, bladder obstruction, prostate cancer, and bladder disorders.
- Differing responses to this medication may occur early relief from urinary problems, no relief for 6 months to a year, no relief after a year’s time.
- Doctor should periodically monitor for prostate cancer; Proscar is not a treatment for prostate cancer
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Proscar side effects, please contact your healthcare provider