Generic name: Nabumetone.
Relafen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID). It works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, which may trigger pain.
Quick Facts About Relafen
Used to treat the inflammation, swelling, stiffness, and joint pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
May take with or without food; take exactly as prescribed.
- Usual adult dose: 1,000 milligrams as a single dose May be increased up to 2,000 milligrams per day taken 1 or 2 times per day. Doctor will prescribe lowest effective dose for chronic pain.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Relafen Side Effects
no specific information available. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, fluid retention, gas, headache, indigestion, itching, nausea, rash, ringing in ears.
Less common Relafen side effects: dry mouth; fatigue; inability to fall or stay asleep; increased sweating; inflammation of the mouth; inflammation of the stomach; nervousness; sleepiness; vomiting. Rare side effects: agitation; anxiety; confusion; dark, tarry, or bloody stools; depression; difficult or labored breathing; difficulty swallowing; fluid retention; general feeling of illness; hives; increase or loss of appetite; large blisters; pins and needles; pneumonia or lung inflammation; sensitivity to light; severe allergic reactions; skin peeling; stomach and intestinal inflammation and/or bleeding; tremors; ulcers; vaginal bleeding; vertigo; vision changes; weakness; weight gain; yellow eyes or skin.
Inform your doctor before combining Relafen with:
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. May appear in breast milk: could affect a nursing infant.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- Do not take if sensitive to or allergic to this medicatior or if you have experienced allergic reactions, asthma attacks, hives, or other allergic reactions with Relafen, aspirin, or other similar medications.
- Be aware that ulcers or internal bleeding can occur with or without warning.
- Use with caution if you have liver or kidney disease.
- May cause fluid retention and swelling: use with caution if you have high blood pressure or congestive heart failure.
- Increased sensitivity to light may occur during Relafen therapy.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Relafen side effects, please contact your healthcare provider