Generic name: Ivermectin.
Other brand name: Mectizan.
Stromectol is an anthelmintic. It destroys parasitic worms by interfering with the nerve and muscle cells of the worm.
Quick Facts About Stromectol
Used to treat strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis (parasitic worm infections).
Take with water.
- Usual adult dose: strongyloidiasis — single dose of 0.07 to 0.09 milligram per pound of body weight. Onchocerciasis — initial dose of 0.07 to 0.09 milligram per pound of body weight. Possible second dose needed in 3 months.
- Usual child dose: 6 years and older — follow adult dosing instructions. Under 6 years — not recommended.
- Missed dose: taken in one dose; should not take regularly.
Stromectol Side Effects
abdominal pain, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, dizziness, headache, itching rash, nausea, “pins and needles” in hands and feet, poor muscle coordination, rash, seizures, vomiting. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: itching, joint pain, lymph gland enlargement and tenderness, rash, swelling.
Less common Stromectol side effects: diarrhea, dizziness when rising from a sitting or lying position, eye problems, liver irritation, nausea, rapid heartbeat swelling of arms and legs or face. Rare side effects: abdominal pain, appetite loss, constipation, headache, tiredness, vomiting, weakness, worsening of asthma.
No known Stromectol drug interactions.
No known food/other substance interactions.
May cause birth defects. If pregnant or planning to become pregnant inform your doctor immediately. Appears in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children under 6 years.
- See your doctor for at least 3 stool examinations to confirm clearance of infection with strongyloidiasis.
- May cause skin and eye reactions in people with onchocerciasis.
- Single treatment with Stromectol does not kill adult Onchocerca parasites. Doctor will prescribe repeated follow-up treatment in 3 months.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Stromectol side effects, please contact your healthcare provider