Muesli is a scrumptious thing to eat in the morning, as well as being super nutritious. There’s no way you can get these recipes wrong, as they’re about experimentation and trying new flavours.
Healthy Breakfast Muesli Recipe
This recipe is totally editable. If you don’t like something then leave it out, and if you want more of something, simple add more!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups porridge oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup linseeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup wheatgerm
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 1tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup barley or rye flakes
- 1 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1 dsp cinnamon
- and the secret ingredient: a big handful of Grapenuts! Delicious!
Mix this all together, put it in your sealed container, shake it, store it. Simple as that! You could also add in: a handful of cornflakes, dried prunes, chopped hazelnuts, wheatbran, chopped dried apple.
Don’t forget your awesome toppings, some yogurt, chopped fresh fruit or unsweetened tinned peaches.
Bircher Muesli Recipe
This is such a yummy morning treat, that takes a little preparation, but is well worth the wait. It’s the perfect way to start a summer’s day…a helping of ‘summer porridge’ or Swiss Bircher muesli.
1. Soak 75g rolled oats in 200ml water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Drain off the excess water, and add 150g natural yogurt, 1 tbsp sultanas and 2 tbsp runny honey.
3. Slice up 1 banana and toss through.
4. Grate 2 apples directly into the bowl, and toss through.
5. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
For a creamier consistency, add some soya cream to the mixture. For a little more tang, soak the oats in apple juice, rather than water. Add dessicated coconut for an interesting texture, and grate 1 apple and 1 pear for a little variation.