Bread making is one of the greatest cooking experiences. Taking something from plain ingredients and turning it into a beautiful loaf is therapeutic. These bread recipes are all wholemeal, and therefore very healthy, but you could exchange the wholemeal flour for white or brown flour if you wished.
Standard Whole Wheat Loaf
- – Combine 6 cups whole wheat flour and 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsps baking soda, 1 tbsp baking powder, and 2 1/2 cups water.
- – Stir in 1/2 cup seeds (any kind will do). Let dough stand in warm area for 1 hour with tea towel on top, letting bread rise.
- – Knead bread (kneading should last at least 5 mins, and should be very forceful) and put in 2 regular loaf pans.
- – Brush tops with 2 beaten egg whites.
- – Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 50 minutes. Eat and enjoy!
Crunchy Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- – Dissolve 1 (.25 ounce) package yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.
- – Combine 1 (12 fl oz) can evaporated milk, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup melted shortening, 1/4 cup honey, 2 tsps salt and 2 cups whole wheat flour in food processor or bowl.
- – Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- – Add 3 cups bread flour, and process until dough forms a ball.
- – Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes.
- – Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- – Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.
- – Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles.
- – Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9×5 inch bread pans.
- – Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- – Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes.
- – Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven.
- – Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
- – Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown.
- – Butter crusts while warm. Slice when cool.
Sunflower Almond Wheat Bread
- – In a small mixing bowl, dissolve 1 (.25 ounce) package yeast and 1/4 cup sugar in 1 cup warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- – In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with 1/4 cup ground sunflower seeds, 1 cup bread flour, 2.5 cups whole wheat flour and salt; mix well.
- – When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- – Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- – Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- – Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- – Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- – Form the dough into a loaf and place it into the prepared pan.
- – Brush the top with almond oil (2tbsp) and cover with a damp cloth.
- – Let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- – Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- – Let cool on a wire rack 20 minutes before slicing.
Other loaf recipe:
- Healthy Banana Bread Recipe by HealthSurvey.