Is there a better way to start the day than with some healthy pancakes for breakfast? Its the ultimate simple indulgence. There are many ways to enjoy pancakes; with bacon, with maple syrup or with fresh berries.
A fantastic start to the morning, pancakes are fun and a delicious treat for any day of the week. Made with whole wheat flour, these have a delicious texture and nutty flavour.
Basic Pancake Mix Recipe
1/2 pint milk
4 oz flour
Mix these all together and you will have perfect batter! You can do all the mixing in a plastic jug…start by measuring your milk, then whisk in the egg. Then put the jug on your weighing scales and measure out your flour, half at a time. Mix until there are no lumps left!
To cook perfect pancakes, heat a frying pan up to full heat, with 1 tbsp olive oil and then reduce the temperature slightly. Pour into the hot pan to make half-size pancakes. Once the liquid has disappeared, flip it over! Then wait for about 30seconds to 1 minute. Serve with honey and banana slices. Yum!
You can edit this recipe by changing the type of milk or the type of flour. You could use soya milk or half buckwheat flour/half gluten free flour, or a wholemeal flour variety like teff or spelt, to make a healthy pancake mix.
Apricot Pancakes with Maple Syrup Butter
- - Start by making the maple butter, beat together 100g unsalted butter and 3 tbsp icing sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in 6tbsp maple syrup, until soft.
- - Now for the pancakes. Chop 250g apricots into small cubes.
- - Place 125g self raising flour and 50g caster sugar in a bowl, and make a well in the centre.
- - Break 2 eggs into the well, add 50ml milk and whisk until smooth.
- - Stir in another 50ml milk and the chopped apricots.
- - Heat a non-stick frying pan and brush with a little olive oil.
- - Add 3 tablespoons of the batter to the pan, spacing each apart so they can spread a bit.
- - Cook until bubbling and golden on the underside. Flip over and cook for another 1 minute.
- - Repeat the process until the batter is cooked, spread with the maple butter, and serve with some fried bacon and a glass of fruit juice.
- - Melt 25g butter and leave to cool.
- - Place 25g plain flour, 75g wholemeal self-raising flour, 1tsp baking powder and 25g caster sugar in a bowl. Mix.
- - Then add 2 eggs, 2tbsp honey and 125ml soya milk.
- - Gradually whisk in the melted butter.
- - Heat a non-stick frying pan until hot.
- - Reduce the heat and add a little butter.
- - Spoon in some mixture to create a round of about 10cm.
- - Cook until air bubbles begin to appear.
- - Flip over and cook on the other side for about 30 seconds.
- - The mix should make 12 pancakes.
- - Slice 3 pears lengthways.
- - Add a knob of butter to the frying pan and fry the pears until golden on both sides.
- - Serve the pancakes with pears and extra honey on top.
Healthy Pancake Toppings
Raisins, maple syrup, honey, nuts, seeds, bacon, yogurt, fruit compote, apple sauce, dark chocolate, cinnamon, frozen yogurt, raw ice cream, banana, roasted plums, blackberry coulis, tinned peaches, blueberries.