Sweet potato recipes vary from a picnic lunch to a delicious and extravagant dinner party dish. There are many different ways to enjoy sweet potato, so enjoy creating new recipes and experimenting with complimentary flavours.
There are many delicious ways to enjoy sweet potato: baked in the oven, sliced up and oven cooked as chips, mixed together with delicious game in a winter pie, or diced, boiled and pureed into a soup, made into simple little roasted rosti, savory pancakes or made into little sweet potato gnocchi. Or mash it up, make little pastry parcels, turn the mash into little sweet potato cakes by mixing it with nuts or fish.
Sweet potato has such a rich and distinct flavour, as well as being very rich in nutrients and vitamins. High in fibre, beta carotene, vitamin c and vitamin B6, this is one of the most nutritious, healthy vegetables you can eat, and thank goodness it is such a versatile vegetable!
Sweet Potato Waffles with Smoked Mackerel
1. Bake a 250g sweet potato at 180c for 30 minutes or until tender. Leave to cool.
2. Scoop out the flesh, you will need 200g. Mash it and then combine with 2 egg yolks and 350ml semi-skimmed milk.
3. Mix together 160g wholemeal plain flour and 160g plain flour. Combine with a pinch of salt and 1tbsp baking powder.
4. Add the dry and liquid ingredients together with 2tbsp olive oil. Fold in 2 stiff whisked egg whites.
5. Cook in a waffle iron.
6. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche (mixed with parsley or dill) and some smoked mackerel. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Casserole
A delicious vegan recipe, that speaks of the mediteranean. Serve it with some interesting Italian bread drizzled in olive oil.
1. Slice 1kg potatoes, and gently fry in olive oil until tender and slightly crispy. Layer in the bottom of a dish.
2. Fry 5 peeled garlic cloves, and when they change colour add 1 kg peeled and chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes, then add on top of the potatoes.
3. Fry 1kg sliced aubergine and 1kg sliced peppers, arrange on top of the other ingredients. Place in an oven at 180c for 15-30 minutes.
Sweet Potato Soup
You can serve this low fat soup chunky or as a very smooth puree, depending on how you prefer it. Whichever you decide upon this is a very simple and quick recipe, that can be frozen and reheated any time.
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Trim and chop 2 leeks and fry in the pan until soft.
2. Add 500g diced sweet potato to the pan and fry, stirring continuously, for another few minutes.
3. Add 900ml vegetable stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, and leave for 5 minutes. Tip in 410g rinsed and drained tinned chickpeas.
4. Leave to simmer for as long as you desire. The longer you leave it, the softer and tastier the sweet potato will become (unless you are using precooked potato).
5. Once the potato is cooked, use a blender or a potato masher to blend the soup. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with a few seeds and some fresh chopped parsley.