Generic name: Hydrocortisone.
Other brand names: Alacort, Caldecort Light, Cortaid, Dermacort, Hytone, Lanacort, Penecort.
Anusol-HC is a topical corticosteroid. It is unknown how it relieves inflammation.
Quick Facts About Anusol-HC
Used to treat certain itchy rashes and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Use exactly as directed, and only for the condition for which it is prescribed. Use only on the skin, topically; keep away from eyes. Avoid using large amounts over extensive areas to prevent overabsorption.
- Usual adult dose: apply to affected area 2 to 4 times per day, depending on the severity. Doctor may advise using a bandage or covering over affected area for psoriasis or difficult conditions; remove bandage if infection occurs.
- Usual child dose: apply the least amount necessary, as directed by your doctor.
- Missed dose: apply as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule.
Anusol-HC Side Effects
extensive or long-term use; can cause Cushing’s syndrome, glandular problems, higher than normal amounts of sugar in the blood, or high amounts of sugar in the urine. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: acne-like skin eruptions, burning, dryness, growth of excessive hair, inflammation of the hair follicles, inflammation around the mouth, irritation, itching, peeling skin, prickly heat, secondary infection, skin inflammation, skin softening, stretch marks, unusual lack of skin color.
No known less common or rare Anusol-HC side effects.
No Anusol-HC drug interactions reported.:
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor. Not known if Anusol-HC appears in breast milk in sufficient amounts to harm nursing infant.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Children are particularly susceptible to overabsorption of hormone from Anusol-HC. Avoid covering treated area with waterproof diapers or plastic pants. Long-term use may interfere with growth and development.
- Do not use if you have had an allergic reaction to Anusol-HC or any of its ingredients.
- If irritation develops, stop using.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Anusol-HC side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.