Generic name: Azelastine.
Astelin is an antihistamine nasal spray. Antihistamines block the effects of histamine, a body chemical that causes swelling and itching.
Quick Facts About Astelin
Used to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis, including runny nose, sneezing, and nasal itching.
Take exactly as prescribed. Tilt head slightly forward when spraying medication into nose to avoid experiencing a bitter taste.
- Usual adult dose: 2 sprays in each nostril twice per day.
- Usual child dose: 12 years and over — follow adult dosing instructions. Not usually prescribed for children under 12 years.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Astelin Side Effects
none reported. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: bitter taste, drowsiness, headache.
No less common or rare Astelin side effects.
Use of Astelin may decrease effectiveness of central nervous system (CNS) depressants such as antidepressants and reduce alertness.
Inform your doctor before combining Astelin with:
Alcohol may increase sedative effects; do not drink while taking medication.
If pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast feeding, inform your doctor immediately. Potential benefits may outweigh potential risks.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally recommended for children under 12 years.
- Should not use if sensitive or allergic to Astelin.
- May cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires mental alertness until adjusted to medication.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Astelin side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.