Generic name: Buspirone hydrochloride.
BuSpar is an anti-anxiety drug. It reduces the activity of certain chemicals in the brain.
Quick Facts About BuSpar
Used to treat anxiety disorders.
Take exactly as prescribed; full benefit may not be apparent for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Usual adult dose: 15 milligrams per day divided into 3 doses. Every 2 to 3 days doctor may increase 5 milligrams per day as needed, not to exceed 60 milligrams.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
BuSpar Side Effects
dizziness, drowsiness, nausea or vomiting, severe stomach upset, unusually small pupils. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: dizziness, dry mouth, fatigue, headache, light-headedness, nausea, nervousness, unusual excitement.
Less common BuSpar side effects: anger/hostility, blurred vision, bone aches/pain, confusion, constipation, decreased concentration, depression, diarrhea, fast or fluttery heartbeat, incoordination, muscle pain/aches, numbness, pain or weakness in hands or feet, rapid heartbeat, rash, restlessness, stomach and abdominal upset, sweating/clamminess, tingling or pins and needles, tremor, urinary incontinence, vomiting, weakness.
Inform your doctor before combining BuSpar with:
Avoid alcohol while taking BuSpar.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Not known if BuSpar appears in breast milk.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- Do not drive, operate machinery, or take part in any activity that requires alertness; effects of BuSpar on the central nervous system are unpredictable.
- If sensitive to or had allergic reaction to this or similar medications, should not take.
- Not for everyday stress-related anxiety or tension.
- Should not use if you have severe kidney or liver damage.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or BuSpar side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.