Generic name: Flurazepam hydrochloride.
Dalmane is a benzodiazepine/sedative-hypnotic. It works by selectively reducing the activity of certain chemicals in the brain.
Quick Facts About Dalmane
Used to treat insomnia.
Take exactly as prescribed. Changes in the dosage or discontinuance of this medication should be regulated by your doctor to avoid serious side effects.
- Usual adult dose: 30 milligrams at bedtime; 15 milligrams may be adequate. Seniors — usual starting dose is 15 milligrams.
- Usual child dose: not prescribed for children under 15 years.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless within one hour of next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Dalmane Side Effects
coma, confusion, low blood pressure, sleepiness. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: dizziness, drowsiness, falling, lack of muscular coordination, light-headed-ness, staggering.
Less common Dalmane side effects: apprehension, bitter taste, blurred vision, body and joint pain, burning eyes, chest pains, confusion, constipation, depression, diarrhea, difficulty focusing, dry mouth, exaggerated feeling of well-being, excessive salivation, excitement, faintness, flushes, genital and urinary tract disorders, hallucinations, headache, heartburn, hyperactivity, irritability, itching, loss of appetite, low blood pressure, nausea, nervousness, rapid or fluttery heartbeat, restlessness, shortness of breath, skin rash, slurred speech, stimulation, stomach and intestinal pain, stomach upset, sweating, talkativeness, vomiting, weakness. Side effects due to abrupt withdrawal from Dalmane: abdominal and muscle cramps, convulsions, depressed mood, inability to fall or stay asleep, sweating, tremors, vomiting.
Inform your doctor before combining Dalmane with:
antidepressants such as Elavil and Tofranil, antihistamines such as Benadryl and Tavist, barbiturates such as Seconal and phenobarbital, major tranquilizers such as Mellaril and Thorazine, narcotic painkillers such as Demerol and Tylenol with Codeine, sedatives such as Xanax and Halcion, tranquilizers such as Librium and Valium.
Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication; alcohol intensifies the effects of Dalmane.
Do not take Dalmane if pregnant or planning to become pregnant; increases risks of birth defects. May appear in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant.
Seniors are prescribed a lower dosage to avoid oversedation, dizziness, confusion, or lack of muscle coordination.
Not generally prescribed for children under 15 years.
- May cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires alertness.
- If sensitive to or have allergic reaction to this or similar medications, should not take.
- Consult with your doctor before taking Dalmane if you have: chronic respiratory or lung disease, decreased kidney or liver function, or severe depression.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Dalmane side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.