Generic name: Tolterodine.
Detrol is an antispasmodic/anticholinergic. It inhibits bladder contractions and delays the urge to urinate.
Quick Facts About Detrol
Used to relax the bladder muscle and reduce spasms in people with urinary frequency, urgency, and urge incontinence.
Take exactly as prescribed, with or without food.
- Usual adult dose: 2 milligrams twice per day. May be reduced to 1 milligram twice per day.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Detrol Side Effects
coma, convulsions, delirium, difficulty breathing, fever, flushing, hallucinations, irritability, low or high blood pressure, nausea, paralysis, rapid heartbeat, restlessness, tremor, vomiting. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: blurred vision, decreased sweating, dry eye, dry mouth, headache, sleepiness, upset stomach. Side effects milder than with most anticholinergics.
Less common Detrol side effects: abdominal pain, back pain, H chest pain, constipation, diarrhea, difficult or painful urination, dizziness, dry skin, dyspepsia, fatigue, flatulence, flu-like symptoms, frequent urination, high blood pressure, impotence, infection, insomnia, irregular heartbeat, nausea, nervousness, rash, upper
respiratory tract infection, urinary tract infection, vision problems, vomiting, weight gain.
Inform your doctor before combining Detrol with:
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Appears in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant.
Seniors with heart problems should use with caution.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- Should not take if you have abnormal muscle weakness, certain types of untreated glaucoma, partial or complete gastrointestinal tract blockage, obstructed bowel, severe colitis, urinary retention.
- Use with caution if you have kidney or liver problems.
- May produce blurred vision and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires mental alertness until adjusted to medication.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Detrol side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.