Generic name: Pentosan polysulfonate sodium.
Elmiron is an analgesic with a mild ability to prevent blood from clotting. It is thought to alleviate bladder pain by preventing irritating substances from attaching to the bladder wall.
Quick Facts About Elmiron
Used to treat bladder pain due to interstitial cystitis, a long-term, painful infection of the bladder. May take 3 to 6 months to notice effects.
Take on an empty stomach, 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Take exactly as prescribed; do not increase dose or stop therapy without the permission of your doctor.
- Usual adult dose: 100 milligrams 3 times per day.
- Usual child dose: Not generally prescribed for children under 16.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Elmiron Side Effects
bleeding, liver problems, upset stomach. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: diarrhea, nausea, patchy hair loss.
Less common Elmiron side effects: abdominal pain or irritation, bleeding gums, depression, difficulty breathing, dizziness, headache, upset stomach. Rare side effects: allergy, anemia, bruising, colitis, constipation, double vision, gas, insomnia, irritation of the esophagus, itching, liver problems, loss of appetite, mouth ulcers, nosebleeds, rash, runny nose, red eyes or bleeding in the eye, ringing in ears, sensitivity to bright light, sore throat, vaginitis, vomiting.
Use blood-thinning drugs such as aspirin and warfarin with caution when combining with Elmiron.
No known food/other substance interactions.
Effects of Elmiron on pregnant women and nursing mothers not known. If pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, inform your doctor immediately. Potential benefits may outweigh potential risks.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children under 16.
- Elmiron is a weak anticoagulant. Complications may include bleeding gums, bruising, and nosebleeds.
- Do not use if sensitive or allergic to medication.
- Use with caution if you have a history of liver disease.
- Inform all doctors and dentists you see of medication use during Elmiron therapy.
- May experience patchy hair loss within the first 4 weeks of treatment.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Elmiron side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.