Generic name: Aspirin with Codeine.
Other brand names: Anexsia with Codeine, Emcodeine.
Empirin with Codeine is an analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent. It reduces pain and inflammation, is a narcotic pain reliever, and has both pain-relieving and cough-suppressing properties.
Quick Facts About Empirin with Codeine
Used to treat mild, moderate, and moderate to severe pain and tension headaches.
Empirin with Codeine Dosage
May take with food or a full glass of milk to avoid stomach upset. More effective if taken at onset of pain than when pain intense. Can be habit-forming if taken over a long period of time or in high doses; take exactly as prescribed.
- Usual adult dose: for Empirin with Codeine No. 3 — 1 or 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed. For Empirin with Codeine No. 4 — 1 tablet every 4 hours as needed.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. If so, skip missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Empirin with Codeine Side Effects
adults — bluish skin color due to lack of oxygen, circulatory collapse, clammy skin, coma, constricted pupils, delirium, delusions, difficult or labored breathing, double vision, excitability, flabby muscles, garbled speech, hallucinations, restlessness, skin eruptions, slow and shallow breathing, stupor, vertigo. Children — confusion, convulsions, dehydration, difficulty hearing, dim vision, dizziness, drowsiness, extremely high body temperature, headache, nausea, rapid breathing, ringing in ears, sweating, thirst, vomiting. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, flushing, light-headedness, loss of appetite, nausea, shallow breathing, sweating, vomiting.
Less common Empirin with Codeine side effects: abdominal pain, aggravation of peptic ulcer, anaphylactic shock (severe allergic reaction), asthma, bruising or bleeding, confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, exaggerated sense of well-being or depression, excessive bleeding following injury or surgery, fatigue, headache, hearing problems, heartburn, hives, indigestion, itching, nausea, rapid heartbeat, ringing in ears, runny nose, skin rashes, sweating, thirst, vision problems, vomiting, weakness.
Inform your doctor before combining Empirin with Codeine with:
blood thinners such as Coumadin; furosemide (Lasix); insulin; MAO inhibitors such as Nardil; mercaptopurine; methotrexate (Rheumatrex); nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil, Motrin, and Indocin; oral diabetes medications such as Diabinese and Tolinase; other narcotic analgesics such as Percodan and Tylox; para-amino salicylic acid; penicillin; probenecid (Benemid); sedatives such as phenobarbital and Nembutal; steroids such as Medrol and prednisone; sulfa drugs such as Azo Gantrisin and Septra; sulfinpyrazone (Anturane); tranquilizers such as Xanax and Valium; vitamin C.
Alcohol may increase sedative effects; do not drink alcohol when taking this medication.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Appears in breast milk, could affect a nursing infant.
Seniors in a weakened condition should use with caution.
Consult your doctor before administering to children.
- May cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires alertness.
- Codeine may hide symptoms of serious abdominal conditions.
- Can cause severe allergic reactions including difficulty breathing, bluish skin color caused by lack of oxygen, fever, rash or hives, irregular pulse, convulsions, or collapse.
- With a peptic ulcer, open sores in the stomach or intestines, may cause bleeding. May also prolong bleeding after an injury or surgery.
- Use with caution after head or brain injury; can slow breathing, cause drowsiness, increase pressure in your head.
- Use with caution if you have: Addison’s disease, breathing disorder, enlarged prostate or narrowing of the urethra, gallstones or gallbladder disease, inflamed stomach or intestines, irregular heartbeat, severe kidney or liver disease, underactive thyroid gland.
- Sensitivity reactions are relatively common in people with asthma or nasal polyps. Use caution if you have allergies.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Empirin with Codeine side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.