Generic ingredients: Diphenoxylate hydrochloride with atropine sulfate.
Other brand names: Lofene, Logen Tablets, Lomanate Liquid, Lonox Tablets, Low-Quel.
Lomotil is an antidiarrheal. It slows the movement of the gastrointestinal tract.
Quick Facts About Lomotil
Used to treat diarrhea.
Take exactly as prescribed as this medication can be habit-forming. Drink plenty of liquids and eat bland food such as cooked cereals, breads, and crackers.
- Usual adult dose: 2 tablets 4 times per day or 2 regular teaspoonfuls (10 milliliters) of liquid 4 times per day. Doctor may reduce dose to 5 milligrams (2 tablets or 10 milliliters of liquid) once diarrhea is controlled. Should see improvement after 48 hours. If no improvement after taking 20 milligrams daily for 10 days, Lomotil is unlikely to be effective.
- Usual child dose: (for children 2 to 13 years): 0.3 to 0.4 milligram per 2.2 pounds of body weight divided into 4 equal doses per day. Use Lomotil liquid only and use pharmacist-supplied dropper. Approximate initial doses: 2 years (24-31 pounds) — 1.5 to 3.0 milliliters 4 times per day; 3 years (26-35 pounds) — 2.0 to 3.0 milliliters 4 times per day; 4 years (31-44 pounds) — 2.0 to 3.0 milliliters 4 times per day; 5 years (35-51 pounds) — 2.5 to 4.5 milliliters 4 times per day; 6 to 8 years (38-71 pounds) — 2.5 to 5.0 milliliters 4 times per day; 9 to 12 years (51-121 pounds) — 3.5 to 5.0 milliliters 4 times per day. Doctor may reduce dose as soon as diarrhea is controlled. If symptoms do not improve within 48 hours, Lomotil is unlikely to be effective. Not generally prescribed for children under 2 years.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless within an hour of next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Lomotil Side Effects
coma, dry skin and mucous membranes, enlarged pupils of the eyes, extremely high body temperature, flushing, involuntary eyeball movement, lower-than-normal muscle tone, pinpoint pupils, rapid heartbeat, restlessness, sluggishness, suppressed breathing (which may happen 30 hours after an overdose). If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
Lomotil overdose can be fatal.
Side effects: abdominal discomfort, confusion, depression, difficulty urinating, dizziness, dry mouth and skin, exaggerated feeling of elation, fever, flushing, general feeling of not being well, headache, hives, intestinal blockage, itching, loss of appetite, nausea, numbness of arms and legs, rapid heartbeat, restlessness, sedation/drowsiness, severe allergic reaction, sluggishness, swelling due to fluid retention, swollen gums, vomiting.
No known less common or rare Lomotil side effects.
Inform your doctor before combining Lomotil with:
Avoid alcohol when taking Lomotil; may intensify the effects of alcohol.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Appears in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Follow doctor’s instructions carefully for children.
- Use with caution as side effects may appear with prescribed dosage levels — especially in the case of Down’s syndrome. Not generally prescribed for children under 2 years.
- Do not take if you have obstructive jaundice, diarrhea associated with inflammation of the intestines, or an infection with enterotoxin-producing bacteria unless directed by your doctor.
- May cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires alertness.
- Use very cautiously if you have kidney or liver disease, or if your liver is not properly functioning.
- Diarrhea caused by antibiotics can be worsened if you use Lomotil; consult with your doctor before using Lomotil with antibiotics.
- Should not take if sensitive to or allergic to any of the ingredients of Lomotil.
- May slow digestion and build up fluid in the intestine, contributing to dehydration and imbalance in body salts.
- Inform your doctor if you experience an enlarged abdomen, which may be preceded by inflammation of the intestines.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Lomotil side effects, please contact your healthcare provider.