Generic name: Pilocarpine hydrochloride.
Other brand names: Adsorbocarpine, Akarpine, Isopto Carpine, Ocusert Pilo, Pilopine HS Gel.
Pilocar is a miotic. It reduces fluid pressure in the eye by constricting the pupil and increasing the flow of fluid out of the eye.
Quick Facts About Pilocar
Used to treat the pressure of open-angle glaucoma and to lower eye pressure prior to surgery for acute-angle closure glaucoma.
Take exactly as directed by your doctor, and be sure to take regularly. Do not use if solution is discolored.
- Usual adult dose: 1 or 2 drops up to 6 times per day. For severe attack, doctor will advise drops in the unaffected eye as well.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: apply as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not apply missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Pilocar Side Effects
no specific information available. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: cloudy vision, detached retina, headache over eye, nearsightedness, reduced vision in poor light, spasms of eyelids, tearing eyes.
Less common Pilocar side effects: breathing difficulty, diarrhea, excessive salivation, fluid in lungs, high blood pressure, nausea, rapid heartbeat, sweating, vomiting.
No Pilocar drug interactions reported.
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. May appear in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children.
- May cause vision problems; use caution if driving at night or when working in poor light
- As there is no cure for glaucoma, you will most likely continue treatment for life.
- Should not use if sensitive to or allergic to this medication.
- Doctor will not prescribe if you should not have your pupils constricted.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Pilocar side effects, please contact your healthcare provider