Generic ingredients: Phenylephrine tannate with chlorpheniramine tannate ana pyrilamine tannate.
Other brand names: Decotan Tablets, R-Tannamine, R-Tannate, Tanoral, Triotann, Tri-Tannate.
Rynatan is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. It works by blocking the effects of histamine, a body chemical that narrows air passages, thus reducing swelling and itching and drying secretions.
Quick Facts About Rynatan
Used to treat runny nose and nasal congestion caused by the common cold, inflamed sinuses, hay fever, and other respiratory conditions.
Take exactly as prescribed.
- Usual adult dose: 1 or 2 tablets every 12 hours.
- Usual child dose: pediatric suspension for ages 6 and over — 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls (5 to 10 milliliters) every 12 hours; for ages 2 to 5 — 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful (2.5 to 5 milliliters) every 12 hours; for children under 2 years — doctor will determine dosage.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Rynatan Side Effects
slowing of central nervous system, depression, and overstimulation (restlessness to convulsions). If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
Antihistamine overdose may result in convulsions and death in children.
More common side effects: drowsiness; dry nose, mouth, and throat; extreme calm; stomach and intestinal problems.
No known less common or rare Rynatan side effects.
Inform your doctor before combining Rynatan with:
Do not drink alcohol when taking Rynatan.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Should not take if breastfeeding.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Follow doctor’s instructions carefully for children.
Not to be given to newborns.
- May cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires alertness.
- Avoid use if sensitive to or allergic to Rynatan or other antihistamines and decongestants.
- Use with caution if you have: high blood pressure, heart disease, circulatory problems, overactive thyroid gland, narrow-angle glaucoma, or enlarged prostate gland.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Rynatan side effects, please contact your healthcare provider