Generic name: Silver sulfadiazine.
Other brand names: SSD AF, SSD Cream, Thermazene.
Silvadene Cream 1% is a topical antibacterial. It inhibits the growth of bacteria by affecting the biochemicals or nutrients necessary for bacteria to sustain life.
Quick Facts About Silvadene Cream 1%
Used to treat and prevent infections in people with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Also used to treat several bacteria, including yeast.
Silvadene Cream 1% Dosage
Use externally only. Burned area should be cleansed daily. Cream is used until skin heals or is ready for grafting. Apply cream with a sterile, gloved hand.
- Usual adult dose: apply thin layer (approximately 1/16 of an inch) once or twice per day to affected area.
- Usual child dose: follow doctor’s instructions for children.
- Missed dose: always maintain a layer of Silvadene Cream on the burn area. If cream is rubbed or washed off, reapply.
Silvadene Cream 1% Side Effects
no specific information available. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: areas of dead skin, burning sensation, rash, red or raised rash on body, skin discoloration.
No known less common or rare Silvadene Cream 1% side effects.
Inform your doctor before combining Silvadene Cream 1% with:
topical enzymes such as Panafil and Santyl that contain collagenase, papain, or sutilains; or cimetidine (Tagamet).
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Do not use at the end of pregnancy. Other sulfa medications appear in breast milk, affecting nursing infants.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Follow doctor’s instructions carefully for children. Do not use on premature infants or newborns under 2 months.
- Avoid if sensitive to or allergic to other sulfa medications such as Septra.
- If burn wounds are extensive, Silvadene may be absorbed into bloodstream, which may lead to side effects throughout the body.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Silvadene Cream 1% side effects, please contact your healthcare provider