Generic name: Clobetasol propionate.
Temovate is a topical adrenocorticoid/anti-inflammatory. It interferes with the natural body mechanisms that produce rash, itching, or inflammation.
Quick Facts About Temovate
Used to treat itching and inflammation of moderate to severe scalp conditions. Scalp application is for short-term treatment; cream and ointment are for short-term treatment of skin conditions on the body.
Take exactly as prescribed. Keep away from eyes.
- Usual adult dose: cream or ointment — gently rub thin layer into affected area 2 times per day, in the morning and evening. Area should not be covered, avoid using more than 50 grams (1 large tube). Scalp application — apply to affected scalp area 2 times per day, in the morning and night Treatment should not exceed 2 weeks. Area should not be covered, avoid using more than 50 grams (1 large tube).
- Usual child dose: for children 12 years and older — same as adult dose. Not prescribed for children under 12 years.
- Missed dose: apply as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not apply missed dose, go back to regular schedule.
Temovate Side Effects
increase in blood sugar, Cushing’s syndrome (moon-shaped face, emotional disturbances, high blood pressure, weight gain, and body and facial hair growth in women). If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: Temovate cream — localized stinging or burning. Temovate ointment — burning sensation, irritation, itching. Temovate scalp application — burning and/or stinging sensation, scalp pustules, tingling.
Less common Temovate side effects: Temovate cream — cracks and grooves in skin, itching. Temovate ointment — cracking of skin, finger numbness, inflammation of hair follicles, localized red spots that become pale or white with pressure, stinging, unusual skin redness. Temovate scalp application — eye irritation, hair loss, headache, itching, skin inflammation, tenderness, tightness of scalp. Rare side effects of all forms of Temovate: acne, additional infections, allergic contact skin reactions, dryness, excessive hair growth, prickly heat, skin softening.
No Temovate drug interactions reported.
No known food/other substance interactions.
Strong corticosteroids such as Temovate cause birth defects in animals. Temovate may also be absorbed into the skin. If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Not known if Temovate appears in breast milk.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not generally prescribed for children under 12.
- To avoid absorption into bloodstream: do not cover with airtight bandages unless specifically directed by your doctor.
- Should not use if sensitive to or allergic to this or other corticosteroids, or any of the ingredients in corticosteroids. If scalp infection is present, avoid using Temovate Scalp Application.
- Not to be used for other than condition for which Temovate was prescribed.
- Inform your doctor of any localized side effects.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Temovate side effects, please contact your healthcare provider