Generic ingredients: Organidin (iodinated glycerol) with dextromethorphan hydrobromide.
Other brand names: Iophen DM, IoTuss-DM, Par-Glycerol DM, Tussi-R-Gen, DM, Tusso-DM.
Tussi-Organidin DM is a cough suppressant/expectorant combination. It works by acting on the brain to suppress the cough reflex and increases the amount of mucus produced, thereby changing a nonproductive cough into a productive one.
Quick Facts About Tussi-Organidin DM
Used to relieve dry, irritating coughs associated with bronchitis and bronchial asthma.
Tussi-Organidin DM Dosage
Take exactly as prescribed. May take 3 to 4 weeks to see results, or doctor may discontinue after 4 weeks if no result.
- Usual adult dose: 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls taken every 4 hours.
- Usual child dose: 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful taken every 4 hours.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose, go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Tussi-Organidin DM Side Effects
no serious symptoms reported. However, if you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
No known common side effects.
Rare Tussi-Organidin DM side effects: allergic reaction to iodides; drowsirness; rash; stomach and intestinal irritation or disturbances.
Inform your doctor before combining Tussi-Organidin DM with:
No known food/other substance interactions.
May cause damage to the thyroid in a developing fetus. Stop taking immediately and inform your doctor if pregnant or planning to become pregnant. May appear in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant.
Seniors should use with caution.
Follow doctor’s instructions carefully for children. Use cautiously in children with cystic fibrosis; they are at risk for enlarged thyroid. May cause episodes of adolescent acne. Not for newborn infants.
- Do not take if sensitive to or allergic to any ingredients in Tussi-Organidin DM. Stop using if you experience rash or allergic reaction.
- Use very cautiously (or not at all) if you have thyroid disease.
- Skin inflammations may occur with long-term use.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Tussi-Organidin DM side effects, please contact your healthcare provider