Generic name: Flavoxate hydrochloride.
Urispas is a urinary tract spasmolytic. It relieves smooth muscle spasm primarily in the urinary tract.
Quick Facts About Urispas
Used to prevent urinary tract spasms and relieve painful or difficult urination; urinary urgency; excessive nighttime urination; pubic area pain; frequency of urination; and inability to hold urine caused by urinary tract infections. Is usually taken in combination with antibiotics.
Take exactly as prescribed.
- Usual adult dose: one or two 100-milligram tablets taken 3 or 4 times per day. Doctor may reduce dose as symptoms improve.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children under 12 years.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible, unless almost time for next dose. In that case, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Urispas Side Effects
convulsions; decreased ability to sweat (warm and/or red skin, dry mouth, increased body temperature); hallucinations; increased heart rate and blood pressure; mental confusion. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: allergic skin reactions including hives, blurred vision and vision changes, drowsiness, dry mouth, fluttery heartbeat, headache, high body temperature, mental confusion (especially seniors), nausea, nervousness, painful or difficult urination, rapid heartbeat, vertigo, vomiting.
No known less common or rare Urispas side effects.
No Urispas drug interactions reported.
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant or planning to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. May appear in breast milk; could affect a nursing infant.
Seniors at higher risk for mental confusion.
Not generally prescribed for children under 12 years.
- May blur vision and cause drowsiness, impairing your ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Do not take part in any activity that requires alertness.
- Avoid Urispas if you have: stomach or intestinal blockage, muscle relaxation problems (especially the sphincter muscle), abdominal bleeding, or urinary tract blockage.
- Use with caution if you have glaucoma.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Urispas side effects, please contact your healthcare provider