Generic name: Latanoprost.
Xalatan is a prostaglandin antagonist. It relieves high pressure within the eye.
Quick Facts About Xalatan
Used to treat open-angle glaucoma.
Use exactly as prescribed. Wash hands before and after use, and do not touch applicator to your eye or any other surface. Wait at least 5 minutes before applying other eye medication, and at least 15 minutes before inserting soft contact lenses.
- Usual adult dose: 1 drop in the affected eye every evening.
- Usual child dose: not generally prescribed for children.
- Missed dose: take as soon as possible. If you don’t remember until the next day, do not take missed dose; go back to regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Xalatan Side Effects
bloodshot eyes, eye irritation. If you suspect an overdose, immediately seek medical attention.
More common side effects: bloodshot eyes, blurred vision, burning or stinging, increased pigmentation of the iris, inflammation of the cornea, itching, sensation of something in the eye, upper respiratory infection.
Less common Xalatan side effects: allergy, back or chest pain, dry eye, eye pain, eyelid crusting or reddening, eyelid swelling or pain, increased tearing, joint and muscle pain, sensitivity to light, rash. Rare side effects: conjunctivitis, double vision, eye discharge.
Use eyedrops containing thiomersal at least 5 minutes before or after Xalatan treatment.
No known food/other substance interactions.
If pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, inform your doctor immediately.
No special precautions apply to seniors.
Not prescribed for children.
- May cause discoloration of the eye’s iris, the longterm effects of which are not known.
- If using Xalatan in only one eye, discuss possibility of mismatched eye color with your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if eye becomes infected or sustains an injury or you have eye surgery.
- May cause blurred vision and impair your ability to drive a car or operate machinery.
- Do not take part in any activity that requires mental alertness until adjusted to medication.
HealthSurvey.org provides accurate and independent information prescription pills, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions about dosage, or Xalatan side effects, please contact your healthcare provider